10 interesting facts you didn’t know about Dairy
It’s like every time you hear the word ‘dairy’, you mentally start reciting the long-learnt lessons about it. Calcium! Bones! Protein! Yoghurt! Bacteria! And the recital goes on and on. True as this recital may be, and properly as it may cover all the health benefits of milk, we can’t help but notice that it’s a bit boring too. All those nutrients, all the advantages for every age group…Where’s the fun, right? Fret not, people, because boring is the last thing dairy is!
There are a lot of fun and interesting things about dairy too, we are just unfamiliar with them. So we have gathered today some of those interesting facts to let you know dairy isn’t only awe-inspiring, it’s also wow-inspiring.
1. India is the world’s biggest producer and consumer of dairy. Milk production totals 140bn litres a year. This is ahead of other leading countries like USA, Pakistan and China.
2. Milk remains fresh for 7-10 days after the expiration date if refrigerated at 35-40°F – that’s about 2 degree Celsius. So store milk at cool places to enjoy it for longer.
3. To get the amount of calcium in a 250ml glass of milk, you’d have to eat one-fourth cup of broccoli, seven oranges or six slices of wheat bread. There is also more calcium in 1 cup of milk than there is in 16 cups of spinach. One will need to eat more than 48 cups of spinach to get the recommended daily intake of calcium.
4. It takes more than 10 kilograms of whole milk to make half a kilogram of butter.
5. The natural yellow color of butter comes mainly from the beta-carotene found in the grass cows eat.
6. Dairy cows provide more than 90% of the planet’s milk supply.
7. Despite its creamy texture, milk comprises of 85 to 95 percent of water. The rest of its volume comes from nutritious vitamins, proteins, carbohydrates and fat.
8. Cow’s milk takes a full hour to break down during digestion – comparatively, goat’s milk takes about 20 minutes.
9. Buffalo milk has 25 percent more protein than cow milk.
10. Milk is better for cooling your mouth after eating spicy food. Water is less effective at the task than milk; however, bread is even better. Milk products contain casein, a protein that cleanses burning taste buds.
Would you ever have guessed dairy is this interesting beneath its stiff ‘calcium for bones’ cover? There’s a lot more to it than meets the eye, like the innumerable health benefits and these interesting facts. And now, if you have indeed been swept off your feet, we will let you free to return to your recital with a renewed energy.