Add some flavour to your International Day of Families celebrations
Our families are the center of our lives around which our entire world revolves. Spending time together as a family means gathering a lot of fond memories that you can cherish for a lifetime. You don’t have to spend exorbitantly on lavish vacations in order to spend quality time with your family. Any time spent together sharing an activity is quality time. Doing things as simple as preparing and having a meal together is good enough! Today, on the occasion of International Day of Families, we bring you some easy and fun recipes that you can make together and enjoy together
Here’s an utterly delectable Indian style dessert that can be enjoyed with the whole family after a hearty meal together. And the best part is you can prepare it in less than 15 minutes.
- Sweetened condensed milk 1can or 400 gms
- Puree of fresh ripe mangoes¾ cup
- Fresh cream (chilled)½ cup
- Cardamom powder¼ tsp
- Almonds or pistachios (finely chopped)fistful
- Beat chilled cream in a bowl for 4 minutes and place it in the fridge.
- Add condensed milk, mango puree and cardamom powder in a bowl, and beat for 2 minutes or until well-combined. Add the beaten chilled cream to it and mix well.
- Fold in the nuts and pour the mixture in kulfi moulds till 3/4th full. Seal the moulds and freeze for at least 5-6 hours.
- When you are ready to relish the kulfis with your family, place the moulds in tap water for a few minutes so that the kulfis can be easily released from the moulds.
- Insert sticks into each kulfi and serve.
- You can even use earthen pots or kulhads to set the mango kulfi.
- If you don’t have fresh cream on hand, you can use whipped cream.
For all paneer fans out there, here’s a quick and healthy breakfast recipe that even your kids can prepare. Teach it to your kids, and let them make these delicious sandwiches for everyone in the family.
- Brown bread slices 4
- Fresh paneer (crumbled or grated) ½ cup
- Capsicum (finely chopped) 1
- Onion (finely sliced) ¼ cup
- Green chilles (finely sliced) 1-2
- Fresh coriander leaves (finely chopped) 2 tbsps
- Tomato sauce 1 tbsp
- Butter 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients except butter and bread.
- Take 2 tablespoons of this filling, and place on the brown bread slice. Cover it with another bread slice.
- Drizzle some butter on a pan and toast the sandwich. You may also smear butter on the bread slices and grill the sandwich.
- Serve warm.
- You can also use tofu or hung curd instead of paneer.
- You can use any coloured bell peppers.
- You can use a pinch of garam masala for added flavour.
This fruity, creamy and mouth-watering dessert is just perfect to celebrate this special occasion of International Day of Families. And it is pretty easy to make, so that you can spend time with your family rather than toiling away in the kitchen.
- Basmati rice 5 tbsps
- Full cream milk 4 cups
- Sugar 1 cup
- Strawberries 12
- Green cardamom powder ½ tsp
- Pistachios (blanched, peeled and sliced) fistful
- Soak the basmati rice for 15-20 minutes. Drain the rice, grind to a fine paste with ½ cup of boiled milk. Remove to a vessel and set aside.
- Heat 3 ½ cups of milk in a heavy bottomed vessel and bring to a boil. Simmer till it reduces to 3/4th of its original quantity.
- Gradually add the ground rice mixture and keep on stirring till it blends well into the milk and it begins to thicken.
- Stir continuously for 15-18 minutes so that the bottom does not burn.
- Add cardamom powder and sugar, and stir till the sugar dissolves andit forms a nice creamy mixture.
- Add the strawberry puree, mix well, and don’t cook it for any more than a minute.
- Remove to a bowl; bring to room temperature, and serve it chilled, garnished with sliced pistachios.
- If it has turned too thick, add some boiled milk to loosen it.
- If it has turned out too thin and runny, add 1-2 tbsps of rice flour, and simmer till it turns thick.
Basic eggless cake using curd
This is a rather delightful cake recipe that requires you to gather very few ingredients, most of which are readily available in your home. So while you and your family are having a great time together, add to the fun by baking together this simple yet tasty cake.
- All-purpose flour (sifted) 1 ½ cups
- Thick curd/ yogurt 1 cup
- Sugar 1 cup
- Baking soda ½ tsp
- Baking powder 1 ¼ tsps
- Refined oil ½ cup
- Vanilla essence 1 tsp
- Preheat oven to 200ºC for 10 minutes. Grease and flour an 8 inch baking pan.
- Cream the sugar and yogurt until the sugar is completely dissolved. Add baking powder and baking soda and combine. Leave aside for 3 minutes. You will find that bubbles appear.
- Add vegetable oil and vanilla essence and mix well. Now, slowly add little sifted flour/maida (about a tbsp) at a time and fold into the wet ingredients.
- Bake in preheated oven at 200ºC for 10 minutes, reduce temperature to 175 ºC and bake for 20-25 minutes or till a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Cool the cake for 20-30 minutes and then overturn onto a plate. Enjoy.
This refreshing summer drink is pure bliss and is perfect to beat the heat. Its main ingredient is rose petal jam or gulkand, which has an enticing aroma and a unique flavour. Enjoy it with your family while the chit-chatting and playful banter just goes on and on.
- Gulkand (rose petal jam) 2 tbsps
- Milk (boiled and chilled) 500 ml
- Rose syrup (or Roohafza) 1 tbsp
- Honey 1 tbsp
- Pumpkin seeds (freshly grounded) 1 tsp
- Cinnamon powder 1/2 tsp
- Cardamom powder ½ tsp
- Ice cream (optional) a scoop
- Ice cubes
- Using a mixie or hand blender, blend chilled milk, rose syrup, gulkand, honey, cinnamon powder and cardamom powder until smooth and frothy.
- Pour into glasses, add ice cubes, garnish with freshly ground pumpkin seeds, and serve.
- You may add a scoop of vanilla ice-cream for a richer flavour.
These are all tried-and-tested nutritious and delicious recipes that are packed with the healthful goodness of your favourite dairy products. So, get ready to have a great time with your family this International Day of Families with these simple and scrumptious recipes.