THE EVERGREEN EVENING SNACKS FOR KIDS
Come vacations, the whole peaceful environment of your home comes crashing down. Once the six hour school of kids goes away, it seems like all the energy they had been saving for the past few months gets unleashed. ‘Eat. Sleep. Play. Repeat.’ becomes their relentless routine. And any protest to such schedule of theirs earns you the bad name of a spoilsport, though all you had in mind was a concern for their health and your peace.
We have a better alternative for you here. Instead of stopping them from doing what they love, you can join the fun and help by doing what you love. After all, summer vacations are an annual occasion. So here are some nice and healthy snacks you can present to your playful children to help them make most of these holidays without sacrificing their health.
Herby Paneer Parcels
Paneer undoubtedly is the most sought after vegetarian item out there! Loved alike by kids and adults, here is how you can make it into a tasty dish. Gather:
- Paneer2 x 225g
- Small red onion½
- Chaat masala1 tbsp
For the green herb paste
- Coriander leaves and stalks85g
- Mint leaves25g
- Garlic clove, ginger1
- Lemon juice1 tbsp
- Vegetable oil1 tbsp
- Garam masala1 tbsp
- Double cream2 tbsp
- Greek yogurt3 tbsp
- Ajwain seeds½ tbsp
Follow the process to make a wonderful dish for your children:
- To make the herb paste, wash your herbs really well. Tip into a blender along with the garlic, ginger, lemon juice, oil, garam masala and 1 tbsp salt. Whizz until quite fine and smooth. Stir in the double cream, yogurt and ajwain seeds.
- Cut each block of paneer into 4 pieces. Pierce the paneer all over with a skewer to allow some of the paste to sink inside. Coat it in the herby paste, then cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- When ready to cook, heat a grill. Place 4 pieces of the paneer on 2 foil sheets. Sprinkle over the onion and top with butter. Bring the foil together to make a parcel that encompasses the cheese completely. Place straight on your hot grill for 8-10 minutes. Sprinkle over the chaat masala and serve hot.
Kids love corn, that’s no secret. So give them an even better treat by mixing it within a bowl of cream. Get these items first:
- Frozen corn kernels2 x 300g
- Heavy cream1 cup
- Salt1 tbsp
- Granulated sugar2 tbsp
- Black pepper¼ tbsp
- Butter2 tbsp
- Whole milk1 cup
- Flour2 tbsp
- Parmesan cheese ¼ cup
The hard part over, get to the simple process of preparing this amazing dish:
- Combine the corn, cream, salt, sugar, pepper and butter over medium heat. Whisk together the milk and flour, and stir into the corn mixture. Stir over medium heat until the mixture is thickened, and corn is cooked through. Remove from heat, and stir in the Parmesan cheese until melted. Serve hot.
BBQ Garlic Potatoes
Serving these with cheddar adds another layer of taste into this already mouthwatering dish. Here is what you will need:
- Garlic cloves, unpeeled12
- Fresh rosemary4 sprigs
- Butter, melted4 tbsp
- Canadian Medium Cheddar120g
- Salt, freshly ground pepper
Get started with this amazing barbecue dish for your naughty ones:
- Preheat barbecue to medium-high heat.
- Place 1 potato, 3 garlic cloves and 1 rosemary sprig on a piece of aluminum foil. Drizzle with 1 tbsp melted butter, season with salt and pepper and seal the foil. Repeat for remaining potatoes.
- Lower one of the barbecue burners to minimum heat and place potatoes on the grill above that burner. Cook for 40 minutes.
- Remove from grill and open foil. Cut the potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Add Cheddar and let melt. Serve with roasted garlic.
Cornmeal Bumbleberry Muffins
When was the last time a child said no to muffins? Since every little kid is born with a sweet tooth, let’s satisfy their craving for it. Get these items:
- Flour1 cup
- Cornmeal¾ cup
- Granulated sugar½ cup
- Baking powder4 tbsp
- Salt½ tbsp
- Milk1 cup
- Butter1/3 cup
- Mixed berries1.5 cups
- Finely grated zest from 1 lemon
Now for the little remaining, here is how to turn these ingredients into the evergreen muffins:
- Preheat oven to 375°F and butter a muffin pan. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, butter, egg and lemon zest. Pour over dry ingredients. Sprinkle with berries and stir just until combined.
- Spoon into prepared muffin pan. Bake for 20 minutes and then let cool for 5 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
Every coin has two sides. ‘Time consuming’ may well be an attribute suitable to this dish but you have our word, so is ‘Worth the wait.’ Gather these items:
- Flavored breakfast sausage450g
- Shredded potatoes3 cups
- Butter, melted¼ cup
- Cheddar cheese, shredded350g
- Onion, shredded ½ cup
- Cottage cheese450g
Take a look at how to make complete use of these ingredients:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9×13 inch square baking dish.
- Place sausage in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble, and set aside.
- In the baking dish, stir together the shredded potatoes and butter. Line the bottom and sides of the baking dish with the mixture. In a bowl, mix the sausage, cheddar cheese, onion, cottage cheese & eggs. Pour over the mixture.
- Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Cold Creamy Cucumber Soup
Your kids will hardly be able to find anything as refreshing as a cold creamy cucumber soup after an intense cricketing session. Get what you will need:
- Cucumbers (peeled)5 small
- Spring onions3
- Cilantro (fresh)1cup
- Buttermilk½ cup
- Cayenne powder1/4th tsp
- Black pepper powder1/4th tsp
- Rock saltas per taste
- Fresh mint leavesfor garnish
Here is how to make this amazing dish for your little ones:
- Roughly chop cucumbers and spring onions and place in a bowl of food processer.
- Add cilantro, cream, buttermilk, cayenne, black pepper and salt. Puree until smooth.
- Soup is ready! Serve it chilled garnished with fresh mint leaves.
So let your kids have a go at these gorgeous dishes to add even more fun to their already thrilling vacations. Let them enjoy the world before they too become engrossed in it and help them in any way you can – like by preparing some of the best evening snacks for them.