RECIPES FOR A PERFECT GET-TOGETHER
Does a look at your grandparents ever excite a thought in you that once upon a time it was just them? Then followed the ‘we two, our two’ (not quite so for the older generation although), the same pattern was followed once again and now you’re living in Delhi, with immediate cousins in Kolkata, Mumbai and Hyderabad and distant relations perhaps even in the most distant parts of the India. And then comes the news of a get-together! The prospect of seeing those with whom you share blood yet haven’t shared a room yet is exciting indeed.
Now there are two turns that the story can take from here. Either the get-together will be a memorable one for the fun and the memories, or it will be memorable for the hopeless food served. If you happen to be in such a situation, you can breathe a sigh of relief because we’ve got some recipes today to ensure that your get-together is remembered for all the right reasons. Do try these out whenever you get the chance:
Linguine with Two-Cheese Sauce
This pasta can be a great welcome snack for the entire clan, just make sure that you cook enough – not only because everybody will be on an empty stomach but also because they will be so delicious. Here’s what you will need:
- Uncooked linguine225g
- Low-fat milk1 cup
- Basil (chopped)2 tbsp
- Salt½ tbsp
- Extra-virgin olive oil1 tbsp
- All-purpose flour1 tbsp
- Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese½ cup
- Mascarpone cheese1 ½ tbsp
This is the way to go about these ingredients for the perfect taste:
- Cook pasta (exclude salt) in a dish, drain when done and keep warm.
- While pasta is cooking, combine milk, basil and salt in a bowl; then stir the milk mixture with a whisk.
- Heat a small pan over medium flame and add oil. Add flour to it and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Add milk mixture and cook until slightly thickened. Remove from the flame and add Parmigiano-Reggiano and mascarpone cheese to the mixture.
- Add this to the prepared pasta and toss to combine. Serve.
Frozen Hot Chocolate
Everybody loves chocolate – that’s a universal truth – children perhaps more than adults. And that’s why this drink needs to be in your menu. Get these ingredients to make sure nobody complains of the absence of a brilliant drink:
- Chocolate pieces100g
- Hot chocolate mix2 tbsp
- Sugar1 ½ tbsp
- Milk1 ½ cups
- Ice3 cups
- Whipped cream and chocolate shavings
Follow this recipe to get the best out of these ingredients:
- Place the chocolate pieces in top of a double boiler over simmering water, occasionally stirring until it melts.
- Add the sugar and cocoa and stir to blend. Remove from flame and slowly add ½ cup milk. Stir until smooth and then cool to room temperature.
- In a blender, place the remaining milk, the chocolate mixture and ice. Blend until the three attain smoothness and consistency.
- Pour into glasses and top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings. Enjoy!
Brown Sugar Baked Fries
Keep them on the table within reach of everyone as you all sit in the hall going over all the childhood memories. Believe it or not, fries will keep the conversation going. Get a hold of these ingredients:
- Oil 4 tbsp
- Salt2 tbsp
- Black pepper½ tbsp
- Baby corn½ cup
- Sweet potato½
- Brown sugar2 tbsp
- Sesame seeds (black & white) For sprinkling
Try out these fries before you serve it directly to your extended family so that you can master the flavor before the time comes:
- Peel & rinse the potatoes and cut them into fries. Also slice the sweet potatoes.
- Soak these cut potatoes in warm water for about 20 minutes. Drain and lay them out over paper towels and pat dry.
- Coat a baking sheet with 3 tablespoons of oil and sprinkle half of the pepper and salt.
- In a bowl, coat the potatoes, sweet potatoes and baby corn with the remaining oil and lay them on the baking sheet. Sprinkle the remaining salt and pepper.
- Cover with an aluminum foil and bake at 475°F.
- Remove the foil after 5 minutes and continue baking for 20 minutes. Use tongs to flip each fry.
- Sprinkle on half of the brown sugar and bake for another 10 minutes. Remove excess oil and sprinkle the remaining brown sugar and sesame seeds just before serving.
Blueberry Cream Pie
No better dessert than a pie to end your beautiful day. These are the ingredients you will need to cook this luscious dessert:
- Whole milk1 ¼ cups
- Egg yolks2
- Sugar¼ cup
- Cornstarch5 tbsp
- Vanilla extract½ tbsp
- Unsalted butter2 tbsp
- Fresh blueberries4 cups
- Water1 cup
- Lemon juice1 tbsp
- 9-inch graham-cracker crust
Here’s what you need to do to savour the sweet taste of this pie:
- In a saucepan, heat milk, egg yolks, half the sugar and 2 tablespoon cornstarch over medium flame, stirring constantly until the mixture boils and thickens.
- Stir in vanilla and half of the butter. Transfer this to a shallow dish, press plastic wrap onto the surface and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, mix 1 cup blueberries (you can use other berries like cranberries and raspberries too) with the remaining sugar, cornstarch and water. Boil over high heat & cook for 2 minutes to thicken, stirring continuously.
- Stir in the lemon juice and remaining butter; remove from heat and let it cool. Gently stir in the remaining berries.
- Spread the refrigerated mixture on the bottom of the crust and top with berry mixture.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours and serve.
This will do for a perfect get-together. Add to all this a great amount of nostalgia and deafening laughter and you are all set to host a memorable day. Let these dishes complement your years of catching up and don’t bother thanking us. Anything for the family!