Yogurt to balance beauty and health this Wedding season
With the wedding season (coupled with winters) round the corner, the struggle to fit in those clothes gains momentum. From crash diets that promise astonishing results, to hitting the gym, we do it all. But this time, why don’t we include one item in our diet that will not only help us lose those kilos but will keep us healthy all year round? Moreover, it will keep your skin glowing from within.
We are talking about making YOGURT your best friend this wedding season. Be it the traditional unstrained yogurt or yogurt made from soy milk, or some fancy yogurt made with goat’s milk, market today is flooded with this goodness filled in small packets for all the right reasons.
- It’s sugar free. The light sweetness in it comes from lactose.
- The good bacteria in yogurt helps improve the digestive system, and strengthens the immune health. It brings relief from constipation & inflammatory bowel disease (good in this season given our rich diets) too.
- Yogurt helps retain lean muscle mass, which means having higher metabolic rate, and eventually burning more calories.
- High in protein, yogurt keeps you full for a longer time.
- It is loaded with potassium, phosphorous, riboflavin, iodine, zinc, many vitamins, and most importantly vitamin D and calcium.
Yogurt with a twist
Packed with nutrients, having plain yogurt every day can be boring. And if you are transitioning from scrumptious wedding delicacies, giving a twist to yogurt becomes all the more important. Let’s take you through few delicious and interesting ways to include yogurt in your diet effortlessly:
- Yogurt parfait – create alternating layers of yogurt, granola and your favourite fruits & nuts in a glass or jar.
- Raita – mix some yogurt with either avocado or cucumber and season with lemon juice, basil leaves, olive oil, sesame seeds, salt, and pepper.
- Frozen yogurt – mix yogurt with cocoa powder, vanilla extract and your preferred toppings in a container/jar. Cover the container/jar and place in the freezer for a couple of hours before consuming.
Substituting with Yogurt
- Use thick yogurt instead of mayonnaise and sour cream for chicken, tuna, or egg sandwiches, to lighten them up and retain the texture.
- Swap some oil for yogurt in baking. Your muffins will be extra moist without the calorie count.
- Throw together some garlic powder, onion powder, dill, kosher salt, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, chives and plain thickened yogurt to make quick and easy Ranch dip.
- Give creamed spinach a healthy spin by replacing heavy cream with thick yogurt. Add some sautéed spinach, nutmeg, and salt to yogurt and you are good to go.
- Top your tacos and chili with a mixture of some plain yogurt with cilantro & taco dressing instead of sour cream dressing.
- Replace milk with yogurt in your milkshakes to make smoothies instead.
- Make frosting healthier by swapping thick yogurt with cream.
Now that you have all the reasons to eat yogurt regularly, and many ways to include it in your meal, slimming down and getting healthier is just a spoonful away!